Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The story so far...

Having just moved to London a couple of months ago, and facing several obstacles: time, resources and the dreaded b-word (that's it, budget), I was worried with how I might continue to feed myself in the way I had previously. General feeling is that students are terrible eaters; lazy, uninterested and poor. I wanted to prove that this generalization can sometimes be the other b-word.

London is full of fantastic foodie opportunities. A huge multicultural centre, we have amazing variety on our doorstep, much of it pretty cheap. Weekly markets, foreign shops and supermarkets provide rich pickings for students to find and try all sorts of different foods, meat and veg (typical student deficiencies) included.
Realistically, supermarkets are going to play a decent role - it isn't always possible to reduce your carbon footprint without increasing your budget - which is fine, as there is incredible variety available here too.

Wherever you shop, I want to show that it can be cheap, easy and relatively quick to feed yourself fabulously.

1 comment:

Laura Paterson said...

Well done - what a good idea! I'll add you to my blog roll :)
I learnt a lot while cooking as a student, you have to think about things a lot more to spend less and still get the flavour...
Keep up the good work!