Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chillis, Round Two

Ok, so remember that Moroccan chickpea curry/stew thing I was going to make? Well, tonight was my night. It wasn't really a curry as such, more a sort of stew with those sort of North-African flavours, like coriander, a teensy bit of smoked sweet paprika, tomatoes, garlic and the hint of sweetness from a dribble of honey.
And best of all? Harissa. This is, for those who aren't aware, a chilli paste first and foremost, and not being one to let this most essential of ingredients get the better of me, I decided to use a goodly amount - this, of course, being the main Moroccan element. It worked like a dream, and the score now stands: Chilli 1, Harriet a triumphant 1, and counting.

I must give the recipe because it's FABULOUS and so very easy, quick and cheap to do.

Long grain rice (boil-in-the-bag sachet is fine)

garlic, finely chopped
ginger (not too much), finely chopped
red onion, sliced
chopped tinned tomatoes
fresh tomatoes, roughly cut up
chickpeas, canned - drained and rinsed
harissa paste (Belazu's rose harissa is lovely, and Middle-Eastern grocers stock it very cheap)
coriander seeds and sweet smoked paprika, a pinch of each
honey
baby spinach
fresh parsley and coriander

But the rice on to boil. Meanwhile, do all your chopping, slicing and tin-opening.
Heat some olive oil in a wide pan or wok, and add the coriander seeds. Fry for half a minute, then add the harissa, then garlic, ginger and onions. Then, after the onions have softened a bit, add the tinned tomatoes, heat through and add the chickpeas and fresh tomatoes. Then add a small pinch of paprika and a drizzle of honey; stir through, taste and season with salt and pepper.
Finally, stir in the spinach and fresh herbs. By this time, your rice should be ready; serve together and feel yourself being warmed and comforted deliciously.

No sooner have I finished my plateful than I realise that the feta I had got ready to crumble over is still waiting, all lonely, on the chopping board. No problem, I'm still hungry, and it'll add a salty new dimension to my second helping. Though really, trying to be economical, I should save it all for tomorrow's lunch, and get on with my blood oranges (which I still haven't been bothered to turn into sorbet). The likelier outcome? I'll let you know after tomorrow's lunch...



No comments: